Hop On Hop Off Bus in New YorkBuy tickets now
The Hop on Hop off bus in New York is a good way to explore the city. These buses, also called sightseeing bus tours or HOHO buses, drive through Manhattan, Brooklyn and The Bronx. They stop regularly at various places where you can choose to either hop on or hop off. A perfect option for those who visit New York for the first time!
Which Hop on Hop off bus should I take?
Since there are several Hop on Hop off bus providers in New York, I’ve made a selection of five interesting options for you. If you’re looking for more detailed information, please continue reading below these options:
- Option 1 (my favourite): If you want a low-priced package that combines Hop on Hop off bus tours with attraction tickets and that offers you lots of freedom, this option is for you. The bus tickets are valid for 72 hours and you can visit either 3 or 5 attractions.
More information on this package
- Option 2: If you want to make use of the Hop on Hop off bus for 24 hours, this option is great value for money. It allows you 2 loops during 24 hours whereas other providers only offer 1 route for this ticket type
More information on this 24-hour ticket
- Option 3: If you want to hop on and off for 48 or 72 hours and see as much as possible without visiting attractions, you should go for this provider. The Bronx tour is included as a bonus and you pay the lowest possible price.
More information about this option
- Option 4: Do you want to explore the city, visit the Empire State Building or Top of the Rock and take a cruise to the Statue of Liberty? Then this is the most interesting option for you:
More information on this package
- Extra: If you are considering purchasing a New York Pass please know that it now includes a Hop on Hop off ticket for the Big Bus for either 1 or 2 days depending on how many days you buy the New York Pass for.
How does the Hop on Hop off bus work?
You can find Hop on Hop off buses more and more in popular cities. These double-decker buses drive past the main attractions in the city and stop regularly at various stops along the routes. You can decide if you want to hop off to explore the neighbourhood or stay on the bus. You are in control.
During the ride, the guide will tell you all about the attractions you pass by. The guide stands either on the bottom or the top deck of the bus. If you’re not seated close by, the audio system in the bus will allow you to follow everything they explain. In all buses you can make use of free earphones, but you can of course also use your own headset.
All providers offer a variety of routes (or loops). Depending on the ticket you purchase, you can do one or multiple loops.
Where can I buy tickets?
Online. You can buy tickets for the Hop on Hop off bus that are valid for a certain period of time, usually 24, 48 or 72 hours. Your ticket will be activated when you exchange your voucher for a ticket. If you exchange your voucher at 10:00 in the morning, your ticket will be valid until 10:00 the next day (or the day after, depending on your ticket).
The amount of hours is always consecutive. If you buy a 72-hour ticket, this ticket is valid for 72 hours from the moment it is activated. For instance, it’s not possible to make use of your ticket for 24 hours, then not use it for a couple of days and hop on the bus again during the last 48 hours of your trip.
How many loops are there?
There are different providers that have their own loops and stops. The buses stop approximately every 20 minutes. All providers offer the following routes:
- Downtown Loop (2,5 hours)
- Uptown Loop (2 hours)
- Brooklyn Loop (2 hours)
- Night Loop (2-2,5 hours)
- Harlem and The Bronx Loop (1 hour) (Big Bus doesn’t offer this loop)
Which providers can I choose from?
There are several Hop on Hop off bus providers in New York. They offer virtually the same loops, but there are a few small differences between the providers. If you’re unsure which provider you should choose, please have a look at the options below:
Big Bus in New York is my favourite Hop on Hop off bus provider. Big Bus has the nicest buses and they’re often less crowded than buses of other providers. Another good reason to choose Big Bus is the fact that their 24-hour ticket allows you to do the Uptown and Downtown loop whereas other providers only allow you to take the Downtown loop with the same ticket. Big Bus offers 24- or 48-hour tickets and a 72-hour ticket that includes a cruise.
Gray Line Buses (the red buses)
The Gray Line Hop on Hop off bus provider offers 24-, 48- or 72-hour tickets. You can also opt for the Freestyle Package which includes bus tickets and tickets for three attractions of your choice.
CitySights Buses (the blue buses)
The CitySights Hop on Hop off bus provider offers pretty much the same loops as the red buses. You can book several packages that include tickets for these blue buses. You can purchase a package that combines bus tickets with a harbour cruise, tickets to Woodbury Common and Top of the Rock or tickets for the ferry to the Statue of Liberty plus Top of the Rock or The Empire State Building for instance.
And what about the other providers?
There are indeed other Hop on Hop off bus providers than the ones I’ve mentioned above. When you’re in Manhattan, you’ll probably see double-decker buses of other organisations too. The reason why I don’t recommend these bus tours is because I’ve either had a bad experience with them or because their offer is not as good as the options mentioned above.